Being kind to myself comes really easy to me. It’s all I do. I don’t know how it all started but I have noticed the things I do different.
- DON’T BELIEVE THE LIES. Ever since I was little I was told I was stupid and won’t be able to do anything good with my life. Every day. But I managed to always be rational. Wait a minute…I’m not stupid. I just kept giving myself examples of smart decisions and smart moments and I reminded myself I’ll learn everything else on the way too. Wait a minute…the outcome of my life is not depending on someone’s words, how would they know what I’ll do in the future? I can do and be whatever I want in my future and they can’t decide it for me.
- TRUST GOD. I have never been tied to things and having things. I never had anything. I was lucky to afford buying clothes once I started working and pay my rent and cover my expenses, but that’s it. And sometimes I couldn’t afford. Deciding to leave all my worries to God is eventually an act of kindness towards myself, otherwise I’d be tortured by the thoughts.
- LEAVE THE DISHES, ENJOY THE WINE. ‘Nuf said.
- ENJOY LIFE. Sometimes it’s not about calories and cholesterol or about staying at work late to finish everything perfectly or about consuming all your energy and time on people who don’t deserve or appreciate you. Sometimes it’s about doing what you love. Eat the chocolate, forget about work, distance yourself from the people who suck the joy out of you and devote yourself to those who really make you happy. Life is short.
- FORGIVE YOURSELF. Even if you’re not stupid, you’ll make stupid bad decisions sometimes. Express regret, learn your lesson, let go of your mistakes and improve yourself. In that order. While at it, forgive everyone else too. You deserve better than allowing bitterness to eat your soul.
- LAUGH. Laugh at yourself, laugh at your mistakes, loosen up, help the people around you laugh and redirect your attention and everyone else’s towards the good, the happy and the funny. The best way to live is JOYFULLY.
Join the Kindness Challenge!